My situation is that I left the UK 23 years ago and moved to the states and have not returned since 2001 and 2004 for family emergencies. My reason for fleeing was that I was paying child support for two children for 4 years with a court order and never missed. In a future relationship I had another daughter and the CSA demanded 30% just for her and would not take into regard the court orders commitment that I had. At the time I was working seven days a week and 12 hours a day to stay head and could no longer keep my home and pay my support so in desperation I made a fresh start in the states. The court or agency never made contact with me and stayed in touch with oldest 2 children and still send them money to this day to help them out.

Will I be taken into custody if I return to the UK to see my children or when I depart the UK ? Thanks Peter



Unless there are criminal charges filed against you, and as long as you meet the entry requirements to come to the UK, I would say you will not not be taken into custody.

With that said and written, you need to seek legal advice and inquire as to the status of any monies you may or may not owe for child maintenance. 23 years is a long time. I would assume your children here are grown? Have you had contact with them or your ex-partner? Why has the courts stayed in touch and paid money to your children if they are grown?

When you state, “flee” the UK, that in itself is not a good sign.

Do you have US Citizenship that allowed you to move back to America?

Are you a UK Citizen and have a UK passport?

Duel citizenship?

These are questions that can help me advise you better. Again, seek legal advice and you may wish to review the government site regarding child maintenance and UK entry requirements.



3 Responses

    1. Thank you for your prompt advice Peter and I did not mean to imply the CSA kept in touch with my Ex’s because I don’t know one way or the other . It was myself who kept in touch with my children . To the best of my knowledge their were never any warrants out for me , I will take your advice and consult a solicitor but I don’t want to open up a can of worms . Thank you for your time and advice sir all the best Peter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.